Just because it is Super Bowl Sunday this weekend doesn’t mean that you have to give up your workout for the day. Put the “Super” in Super Bowl Sunday with these fun ideas!
- Whenever there is a time out, drink some water to keep hydrated like your favorite players. Drinking enough water every day is a key part to staying healthy. And if you’re playing the Super Bowl Workout Game, below, you’re going to need the water!
- Reach for the celery instead of the wings. The wings may be calling your name, but silence them by crunching on their much healthier plate companion, celery sticks. Your waistline will thank you in the morning.
- Get up and move around during halftime. Whether you want to dance around to Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers or go outside and play some football, get off that couch and move around!
Keep reading to play the Super Bowl Workout Game!
Super Bowl Workout Game
Instead of just sitting in front of the TV, turn the Super Bowl into an exercise game for yourself and your friends with this fun Super Bowl Workout! You can modify this workout to suit beginner, intermediate, or advanced fitness levels.
Beginner: Do the following exercises for 1 quarter in the 1st half and 1 quarter in the 2nd half (either 1st and 3rd quarters or 2nd and 4th quarters).
Intermediate: Do the following exercises for 1 half (2 consecutive quarters: either the 1st and 2nd quarters or the 3rd and 4th quarters).
Advanced: Do the following exercises for the whole game (all 4 quarters).
Here are the “rules” of the game. If you want to add some friendly competition to it, get at least one friend to join in; you should each pick a team (or flip a coin to decide) and keep score according to the point system, below.
- Whenever there is a touchdown by either team, do 12 jumping jacks. Either you will be jumping for joy or jumping out of frustration. (This is mandatory for everyone who is playing!)
- Whenever your team scores, your friend must do 3 prisoner jump squats. After all, their team is your team’s “prisoner” now. Note that this is in addition to the 12 jumping jacks that you both have to do! (+6 points for you)
- Whenever your friend’s team scores, you have to do 3 prisoner jump squats. It’s a two-way street! Again, this is in addition to the 12 jumping jacks. (+6 points for your friend)
- Whenever there is a field goal by either team, do 12 forward lunges (6 lunges for each leg). Outstretch your arms over your head while doing your lunges to mimic the referees saying the kick was good! (+1 point if your team kicked the field goal)
- Whenever there is a penalty flag, do 12 standing calf raises. It is a better alternative than simply tapping your foot waiting for the final verdict on the play to be made. (-1 point if your team got the penalty)
Whenever the ball is punted, do 12 mountain climbers. You can pretend that you are racing down the field with the players to get the ball! (+1 point if you complete all 12 before the ball is caught)
- Whenever there is a turnover, do 12 modified push-ups. Either you will be pumped to do this because your team got the ball or you will be “punishing” yourself because your team blew it. (-1 point if your team lost the ball)
- Bonus: Whenever there is a car commercial, do 12 squats. Outstretch your arms in front of you to pretend like you are holding the wheel to one of the cars in the commercial as you squat. (+2 bonus points!)
- Bonus: Whenever there is a beer commercial, do 12 bicycle crunches (6 for each side). You will keep that beer gut at bay by doing this exercise! (+2 bonus points!)
- Tiebreaker: If you and your friend are tied at the end of the game, see who can hold a forearm plank the longest. Whoever holds it the longest wins the game!
If you have any questions about how to properly do any of the exercises mentioned above, feel free to comment below, and I will gladly explain them in more detail for you! Let me know how you did being Super during the Super Bowl! Have fun!
Trainer Tip by Emily Lanzo, certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor at Lucille Roberts 42nd St.
Reposted from February 03, 2012