While no one will judge you for eating a pineapple or coconut in the middle of winter, these fruits were meant for summer and they have great benefits!
- Pineapple: This sweet refreshing fruit is high in manganese, a naturally occurring mineral created in our bodies in small amounts. Manganese is important for brain function and of the activity of our nervous system. It is also a powerful antioxidant that supports healthy bones and fights free radicals that can damage our bodies. This fruit is also high in Vitamin C, or Ascorbic acid, also a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system and aids with healing an array of sicknesses.
- Mango: One of my summer favorites is known to be a stomach soother and this fruit is also rich in fiber which is beneficial for relieving/preventing constipation. Mangoes also contain vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants like quercetin that neutralize free radicals throughout the body.
- Watermelon: This signature summer fruit can be found in most groceries during the months of July and August and is high in potassium and water. Potassium aids in cleansing the toxic deposits in the kidney and the high water content stimulates a release of excess liquid in the form of sweat which will help you keep cool in the summer heat.
- Blueberry: Also high in vitamin C Potassium, blueberries help stabilize blood sugar and blood pressure level. These magical berries also contain antioxidants which can help you skin look more youthful.
- Coconut (Water): Sometimes referred to as the “natural sports drink,” coconut water is an excellent source of electrolytes. The healthiest form of coconut water is via a young coconut, if this is not available look for the packaged coconut water with no added sugars.