Regardless of the type—Gala, Cortland, Granny Smith, McIntosh, Red Delicious and more—apples are a perfect addition to your weight-loss plan for a number of reasons:
- Apples are low in calories and fat, low in sodium, and contain vitamins and minerals as well as fiber.
- There are enzymes found in apples that might help your body digest food more efficiently.
- Apples are a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant, and research has shown that antioxidants help prevent heart disease and some cancers.
- They are also loaded with pectin, which may help keep blood cholesterol levels in check.
- Apples may contribute to a healthy smile and fresh breath by stimulating your gums and promoting saliva production.
If all those reasons still aren’t good enough for then here’s one more: these fiber-packed fruits will help curb your appetite—and also a great low-fat snack when you’re on the run.