While it’s said that an apple a day may or may not keep the doctor away, there’s been buzz about the fruit being able to lower your number on the scale.
Regardless of the type—Gala, Cortland, Granny Smith, McIntosh, Red Delicious and more—apples are a perfect addition to your weight-loss plan for a number of reasons:
- Apples are low in calories and fat, low in sodium, and contain vitamins and minerals as well as fiber.
- There are enzymes found in apples that might help your body digest food more efficiently.
- Apples are a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant, and research has shown that antioxidants help prevent heart disease and some cancers.
- They are also loaded with pectin, which may help keep blood cholesterol levels in check.
- Apples may contribute to a healthy smile and fresh breath by stimulating your gums and promoting saliva production.
If all those reasons still aren’t good enough for then here’s one more: these fiber-packed fruits will help curb your appetite—and also a great low-fat snack when you’re on the run.
Check out our guide to the most popular apples and how to use them!