It is hot outside and I bet your hair feels the heat too! It is a real challenge to try to stay out of the sun when the ocean, the pools, and the great summer fun are calling you.
Unfortunately, summer activities usually come at a price: sun, salt water and chlorine are just a few of the harmful things that really take a toll on your hair beauty.
Remember, sun is as ruthless on your hair as it is on your skin! Keep your hair brilliant and smooth by following these summer hair care tips:
1. Chlorine and Saltwater
– Salt water along with pool chemicals suck up the natural oils and moisture from your hair and leave it coarse, rough, and even discolored. What should you do? If wearing a swimming cap is an unattractive, old-fashioned accessory for you, do this instead: before jumping into the water, rinse your hair with clean water or cover your strands with some leave-in emollient conditioner to block the chemicals and chlorine from penetrating deeply into your hair.
– Also try to wash your hair as soon as you’re out of the water. You can also rinse your hair with club soda. It works!
– During torrid days, you get a lot of sweat in your hair, along with residue from sunblock, so it’s OK to use a PH balanced, clarifying shampoo that can sweep away excessive dirt. After shampooing – use a deep conditioner rich in protein and amino acids.
– Also there are so many shampoos designed for swimmers that can remove chlorine and restore moisture pretty well. When washing your hair, especially in the summer time, use lukewarm water to protect it from drying out.
3. Fight Frizzy and Dull Hair
– One of the most annoying women’s beauty enemy is frizzy hair! As anti- frizz tools use silicon-based products while your hair is still wet or rub a small amount of these magical oils into your brittle locks: coconut, olive, avocado, and jojoba oil.
– To take away dullness, rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar after conditioning: if you have a spray bottle mix it half and half with water and leave it for about 3-5 min on and then rinse it out.
– For extra shininess, smoothness, and a richer color, make a mask out of plain yogurt and cacao powder and leave it on your strands for 30 minutes, and then rinse it off.
4. Summer: Take a Vacation from Hot Styling Tools
– You don’t need to add extra heat and damage your hair by using frying tools such as blow dryers or flat irons. Let your hair dry naturally and use these harm-free tips to give it a styling oomph:
– To prevent flyaways, do not use a towel to dry your hair; instead press it gently with some paper towel sheets, which don’t create the same friction like towels do.
– To create rebellious beachy wavy hair overnight, check out our 6 easy steps to fake it!
5. Hide Your Hair from the Sun As Much As You Can
– To keep your scalp healthy and to stop the hair color from fading, you should start using additional protection: hair care products with UV filters and huge hats.
– To showcase a chic style, use fun head wraps and colorful scarves that will not only make you look sophisticated, but will protect you too.
6. Nurture the Hair with Good Foods
– You need protein to build muscles and fuel your entire body. Your hair (which is made of protein) needs a lot of it too during any season, but especially in the summer time when there are so many destructive factors. To promote hair growth and a healthy scalp, eat lean protein-rich foods which contain omega 3 fatty acids: salmon and walnuts are a MUST.
– To repair follicles and replenish the entire scalp, the hair needs to absorb vitamins such as C, and minerals like iron and zinc. That’s why you should eat a lot of dark leafy greens along with plenty of fruit.