Let’s face it: crunches can get boring. As much as it’s said that we should keep doing them, sometimes you need to switch things up a bit.
Research shows that traditional crunches are vital to achieving those toned abs we’re all gunning for, but our friends at FitSugar came up with a number of alternatives that are just as effective.
Below are a few of our favorites:
- Start lying on your back with your arms reaching toward the ceiling.
- Exhale and roll up toward sitting while lifting your left leg up. Pause at the top and reach for your toes before rolling down slowly back to the mat, then perform on the other side. This completes one rep. (FitSugar)
- Lie on your back, and reach your arms rigidly to your side, off the floor. Lift your legs off the floor, and point them, so they are at about a 45-degree angle. Lift your head, so your shoulders are off the floor as well.
- When you’re ready to begin, lift your upper torso off the floor, and bend your knees. You can lean back to make this move harder or come up more to make it easier. Slowly lower your upper body back down to the floor, straightening out your legs as you do so. Stop when your back is on the floor, but not your head, shoulders, or legs. This completes one rep. (FitSugar)
- Lie on your back, and lift your legs and arms up, so they are extended toward the ceiling. Lift your upper back off the floor, reaching your hands toward your feet.
- Lower your legs toward the floor while reaching your arms overhead, keeping your shoulders off the mat and lower back pressed into the mat.
- Repeat the crunch motion to complete one rep. (FitSugar)
For more variations to doing crunches head over to FitSugar!
What is your favorite ab exercise? Share yours with us on Facebook and Twitter: @LucilleRoberts
Photos via FitSugar