Hearing the words “workout complete”, brings so much joy and yes, lots of feels to our life. We get so excited that we sometimes forget that there are key follow ups to our workouts. These post-workout tips are important because they ensure that we do get not injured, remain full of energy and will return for more pain (without the injury) the following day!
Here are 5 must do’s when you have completed your Drenched class for the day.
- Cool your body down- we do not encourage you to go from 100 percent to 0 percent, it is important for you to continue moving but at a lower rate. This can be accomplished by performing the same movements you were doing in your workouts but at a slower pace. E.g if you were doing high knees a cool down exercise would be to simply step/march in place. There are a number of ways you can cool down including jogging in place, doing some dynamic yoga movements, like the down ward facing dog to plank motion.This is completely up to you, just make sure you’re taking ten or fifteen minutes to properly bring your workout to a close.
- Stretch those muscles out– This is something many are either too lazy or do not see the point in doing but it is very important. It aids with preventing injuries and can reduce lactic acid build up. Also it helps build flexibility and mobility. Both stretching and cool down are essential parts of the post workout process to ensure you are healthy and can return stronger for your next workout.
- Use a Foam Roll– invest in this item! made of foam, it is used by rolling on it on the floor. The foam roller is great for working out any ‘kinks’ or knots that you may have, and help soothe fatigued muscles after a workout. Some even use the foam roller before a workout to help warm up too.
- Quench your thirst– after all the huffing and panting, you are sweating out alot of your body’s resources you need H20 to re-hydrate and replenish!
- Refuel– this goes hand in hand with drinking water after your workout. This mainly applies to those who completed a high intensity workout, it is important to replenish muscles with both protein and carbs after a workout. Some recommended items include: Greek Yogurt, Chocolate Milk (yes you read that correctly) and eggs.
- Shower– you need to smell clean and fresh to go on with having a great day! Unless you have no problem taking the subway in drenched clothes.
- Keep track of your goals – either going old school using a journal or using one of the many available apps like Noom or Myfitnesspal to help track your activity while working out at Lucille Roberts!