“Em’s Experimental Endeavors” is a series of articles that involve trainer Emily Lanzo trying out beauty and health products and providing you with honest feedback.
It is officially summer! Time to break out the bikini, stock up the cooler, prop up the beach umbrella, spread out the blanket, but–most importantly–grab that sunscreen! Why spoil all of your very hard work at the gym to get yourself in beach-body shape by letting your skin burn to a crisp, which can potentially lead to early wrinkling, age spots, skin cancer… Are you catching my drift? Go the extra step to protect it!
What is that you say? You would like to protect your skin but do not like greasy formulas that clog your pores and make your skin break out? Well, then you’re in luck: I’ve found an alternative!
This week’s product that I tested for you is sunblock for your face. Specifically, I tried Aveeno Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 30 for Face. You can find this product at local drugstores to keep your beautiful face protected all summer long.
Aveeno Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 30 for Face is a broad-spectrum sunblock that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. This product contains natural soy protein along with vitamins A, C, and E. It has an oil-free, non-greasy formula that is hypoallergenic and water-resistant. No wonder it’s recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation!
How to use this product:
- Make sure your face is completely dry.
- 30 minutes before going out into the sun, apply the sunblock generously and evenly to your face. Go all the way up to your hairline; if your hair parts, apply sunscreen there, as well. (Do not forget your eyelids and ears!)
- Reapply as needed, especially after swimming, sweating profusely, or towel-drying.
Overall, I would give this product 5 out of 5 stars.
- Pros: Easy to apply, dries quickly. Product does not feel greasy at all; it feels nice and smooth like a regular facial lotion. Product does not have the typical strong sunblock smell and is very affordable ($5-$10 from most local drug stores).
- Cons: Product does not come in family size.
I would recommend this product to a friend. I love that, by using this product, I do not have to sacrifice the clarity of my skin in order to protect it from the sun. This non-greasy formula blocked the sun’s harmful rays and did not cause my skin to break out.
Have you tried a different sunblock for your face that you would like to recommend to our readers or tell them to stay away from? Leave your comments below!
Trainer Tip by Emily Lanzo, certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor at Lucille Roberts 42nd St.