“Em’s Experimental Endeavors” will be a series of articles that involve trainer Emily Lanzo trying out beauty and health products and providing you with honest feedback.
This week’s product that I tested for you is dry shampoo–meaning shampoo that doesn’t require water! Specifically, I tried TRESemmé Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo.
Has this ever happened to you? You just completed an amazing workout, but you were in the exercise zone and completely lost track of the time. You now only have enough time to maybe throw your hair up in a messy bun (if you’re lucky rinse off in the shower real quick) and run out the door to go to work, meet up with friends, go to class, catch your train, etc. You wish you’d brought a hat with you so you could hide your no-longer-fresh-and-clean hair!
I ran into this situation the other day, but instead of grabbing my baseball cap, I picked up a bottle of TRESemmé Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo to solve my hair dilemma.
TRESemmé has a whole line of dry shampoos that you can pick up from your local drug store. In addition to the product I tried out for thin/oily hair, there is also Fresh Start Strengthening Dry Shampoo for dry/brittle hair, Fresh Start Smoothing Dry Shampoo for straight/normal hair, and Fresh Start Moisturizing Waterless Foam Shampoo for curly/ dry hair. (The Fresh Start line also has a no Frizz Crème and Refreshing Mist.)
How to use this product:
- Make sure your hair is completely dry.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly before use.
- Lift a section of your hair straight up.
- Hold the bottle about a foot away and spray the roots of the hair section you lifted. (If you hold the bottle too close to your head, you will get white, dry shampoo streaks that you will want to brush out right away)
- Repeat these steps, shaking the bottle again if necessary, until you have covered all of your desired sections. (I recommend turning your head upside down to get your base roots.)
- Let the dry shampoo sit in your hair for one minute and then massage through with your fingers to evenly distribute the product.
- Style hair as per usual.
(For the Fresh Start Waterless Foam, you will pump the product into your hand and massage it through your hair instead of spraying it directly in your hair like with the dry shampoo.)
Overall, I would give this product 3.5 out of 5 stars.
- Pros: Product is easy to use. Product has a light citrus smell, so my hair smelled nice. My hair felt soft after initial use and looked fresh and clean.
- Cons: Product’s nozzle can get clogged. (You will need to run it under water if this happens.) I had to re-apply the product later in the day to spruce up my hair again, and this time my hair felt stickier rather than softer. So, use product sparingly.
I would recommend this product line to a friend. Personally, I will be trying the Smoothing Dry Shampoo next time, in hopes that will be better suited for my hair type, so I don’t have to re-apply.
Have you tried a different dry shampoo product that you would like to recommend to our readers–or tell them to stay away from? Leave your comments below!