This tasty breakfast recipe was submitted by Lauren Albertini, who is a member at Lucille Roberts Commack.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix wheat bran and milk together. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Then beat in bran mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Stir sifted mixture (from step 4) into bran mixture until just blended.
6. Fold in blueberries.
7. Scoop into muffin cups.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional info: Calories 123 calories per 1-muffin serving, 0.9 g fat