We know what you’re thinking: “Ch-ch-ch-chia!” But this recipe isn’t for Chia Pets; it’s for breakfast!
Dr. Oz recommends chia seeds as one of the five supplements everyone over 50 needs to take each day. Chia seeds are effective for helping with weight loss because they are high in fiber, and high-fiber meals help you feel full. The seeds are also high in omega-3 acids. You can sprinkle them on salads or add them to recipes, like this chia seed muffin recipe.
Chia Seed Muffins
- 1 Tbsp. ground Chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Mix together wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
2. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
3. Scoop into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 min at 350 F.
Nutritional info: Serving size is 1 muffin, 150 calories.
Recipe by Pat Nitti, certified personal trainer at Lucille Roberts Bayshore and Commack.