We know, running isn’t for everyone. While some of us seeing this exercise as meditative and calming, others may find it boring and repetitive—and that’s ok!
Whether you’re struggling with your form, best time of day to do so, or even what to wear, don’t give up on this basic cardio exercise just yet! If you’re having trouble getting on the running bandwagon, read up on these five must-know tips:
1. Warm up. It may seem like a no brainer, but running can be seriously grueling on your body—especially if you don’t warm up correctly. Stretching is a great way to do so and by starting with a light job before moving to pound the pavement.
2. Working off of that, Don’t over do it. Especially if you’re a beginner, it’s safe to say you should start slow before challenging yourself. If you don’t, you could end up with an injury or worse, discouragment. It’s all about learning the right form and remembering to breathe.
3. Timing is everything! What time you choose to run is especially important when you’re a beginner. It’s best to test out different times of day to see which works best for you. Some say the morning is the best time to go, but you could find that afetr work is better.
4. Fuel up—correctly. Your body needs to have energy to perform correctly. Now that doesn’t mean filling up on a huge meal to then throw on your sneakers to run! We suggest you wait at least two to three hours after a main meal before you go for a run—or have a small, easy to digest snack before heading off.
5. Get some tunes! Who wants to run without music? Not us! Amp up your workout—so you don’t get bored—by entertaining yourself during your routine. We’ve got tons of great playlists for you on the Lucille Roberts Radio station!