Sweet potato casserole, stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce. You know what that means—Thanksgiving is upon us!
While Turkey Day only comes around once a year—and indulging may seem like a nobrainer—you may end up regretting your eating habits. To avoid that unnecessary holiday weight gain, follow these easy tips for a thinner Thanksgiving holiday.
1. Eat Breakfast – Starting your morning off with a small but nutritious meal—perhaps a bowl of whole-grain cereal or a hard-boiled egg with whole-wheat toast—will keep you from starving throughout the day. Doing so will keep you from bingeing and give you more control over your appetite later in the day.
2. Portion your food – While it’s super tempting to fill up your plate with delicious food, selecting reasonable sized portions can be a wiser choice. Tap a lap around the buffet table to pick out dishes you really want to have a taste of—you’ll be thankful for it later.
3. Savor slowly – Slow down—those munchies will still be on your plate if you look away! Eating slowly, giving your fork a rest between bites to actually taste your meal will benefit your body this holiday season.
4. Water is your best friend – Drinking enough H2O on a daily basis should be an important part of your diet—especially during the holidays. It will help keep you full longer so you won’t overeat.
5. Easy on the alcohol – Who’s to say you can’t let loose over the holidays? But with that comes some major calories. Keep that in mind when heading over to the bar and opt for water or club soda instead.
What are your healthy holiday eating tips? Share them with us on Facebook and Twitter: @LucilleRoberts