What are you planning for dinner tonight? If you’re in the mood for Italian fare, try this easy recipe for Baked Veggie Ziti from Jill Foley, Assistant Manager at Lucille Roberts on Roosevelt Blvd. in Philadelphia. Jill studied nutrition in school, and her recipe includes whole wheat pasta, which is typically higher in fiber and lower in carbs than regular pasta, and of course lots of vegetables! Bon appetito!
- 1 box of whole wheat ziti (penne) pasta
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- 8 oz. light mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms (or any seasonal vegetable)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped, or garlic powder, to taste
Sautee veggies in a little olive oil until tender. Cook pasta until done. Add pasta, cheeses, and veggies in a casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.