Here’s another fun St. Patrick’s Day recipe!
Celtic Cabbage Rolls
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 10 cabbage leaves (Green or red are both fine; this recipe uses green for the St. Pat’s theme.)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 8 oz. V8 juice (low sodium)
1. Start by preparing the rice. Follow package directions.
2. While the rice is simmering, pull out a second pot, this one much larger. Fill with water and boil. Add the cabbage leaves and cook for 2-4 minutes. They should be slightly softened. Then remove leaves from pot and place on a high-walled glass casserole dish.
3. When the rice is cooked, combine 1 cup of it in a bowl along with the ground turkey, onion, egg, salt, pepper, 2 Tbsp. of V8 juice, and the bread crumbs. Stir and make sure all your ingredients have combined evenly.
4. Dole out the ground turkey mixture into the cabbage leaves. Roll them tightly, tucking in the edges. I always fill my casserole dish from edge to edge, but if you are not packing your rolls so tightly, you can use a toothpicks to help secure them.
5. Pour the rest of the V8 juice over the cabbage rolls.
6. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour.
7. After 1 hour, remove the foil and continue to bake for 30-45 minutes more.
Serving Size: 2 rolls
Nutritional Info per Serving: 162 calories, 3.1 g fat
Recipe and photos by Ilise “Baker Babe” Reilly, manager of Lucille Roberts Flushing.