The Fourth of July, the day dedicated to honoring the land of the free which we all do by spending time with friends, family and engaging in endless opportunities to soak up the sun. Since most plans on this American holiday involve tons of time spent in the great outdoors and away from our typical routine, we gathered some tips for having fun in the sun while staying healthy, hydrated and avoiding sunburns or weight gain.
- Early Morning Exercise: Doing a short workout first thing in the morning is a guaranteed way to ensure you get your summer glow in motion. A short, effective 30 minute sweat session can boost your energy levels and help you feel strong in your red, white, and blue swimsuit. To help you a get your holiday off to a great start, we have tons of effective at home workouts designed to get you your metabolism going, increase your strength, improve your energy, and help you get and STAY fit. Remember, consistency is the key to success and as you continue to keep up the great work, you will see results!
- Eat, Drink and be Fourth of July Merry:
- Make time to sit and eat a well balanced meal: By focusing on a balanced meal with complex carbohydrates, proteins, greens, healthy fats, and keeping an eye on moderating your portions, you will be less likely to mindlessly nosh on easily accessible empty foods. Yes, we are talking to you potato chips!
- Be aware of liquid calories: If you are planning to drink soda, lemonade or a margarita, be wary about the amount you are consuming. These drinks are packed with sugar and they do contain high calories compared to our BFF water. So what do you do? Have one “splurge” drink and work it into your calorie intake for the day. Just to give you an insight, these drinks usually estimate to around 150 to 250 calories for 12 oz. soft drinks (including lemonade and teas), 12 oz. of beer and 6 oz. of wine, so be sure to read the label! You can also make a healthier version of the drink options or you can swap these drinks with water to stay hydrated.
- Choose the fresh stuff: Approaching the beautiful food table, on one end you are greeted with the packaged snacks like pretzels, marshmallows, chips and on the other end you have the fresh eats like carrots, celery, other crudites and all the summer fruits. When it comes to side dishes or snacks, try choosing the fresher options, aka the crudites and fruits. Ultimately, the fiber in these foods will help keep you fuller and the nutritious options will boost your overall mood, compared to the nutrient-lacking packaged foods that will have you craving more.
- Hydrate your body: July is hot! Make sure to hydrate and start your day with a few glasses of water. Keeping yourself hydrated with water is the key to feeling your best. We often forget hunger can be confused with thirst, so it’s recommended that you opt for a glass of water before consuming those potato chips. Keep a water bottle on hand if you are out at a picnic or park and refill it often. Drinking loads of water will help you feel your best throughout your fun filled day of activities and will help with any symptoms caused by the heat!
- Overall Wellness Tips:
- Apply sunscreen: As much as we love soaking up the sun, we have to protect our skin from UV rays and sun damage. Do this by slathering on the sunscreen before venturing to your Fourth of July adventures!
- Whatever you do, DO NOT punish yourself: Celebrate and enjoy the day with your loved ones. So, if you want to have a scoop of ice cream topped with red, white and blue sprinkles, then have it! Savor every bit of it, without any ounce of guilt. There is no reason to punish yourself for enjoying this American holiday and all the fun aspects that come with it.
Happy Fourth of July #LRfam!