Just because you’ve traded in your summer bikinis for your down coat, hat, and gloves doesn’t mean you should forget about keeping your core toned. Killer abs don’t come over night—and they certainly don’t stick around if you don’t put in the work.
So, to keep your ab area strong all year long, get moving with these five intense core exercises.
1. Fire Hydrant – Yes, this exercise is exactly what you’re probably thinking: a dog marking his territory. Not only will this move target your core muscles, it will also work out your hips, which are a part of your core (not many of us think of it like that).
2. Single Leg Lowering – Surprisingly, you’ll work your core muscles hard with this move, as simple as it looks. Just remember not to touch your foot to the ground, lower until it’s just hovering above.
3. Russian Twists – Your body will be feeling the burn after doing this move. In a sitting ‘v’ position, you’ll be twisting your core to each side, and to make it even harder try adding a little more weight.
4. Sit Ups – Ah, the classic sit up, not everyone’s fave that’s for sure. Why not switch it up by adding a medicine ball? Hold it in the air as you perform the crunch—remember to hold on tight!
5. Bicycle Crunches – Similar to the Russian Twist, with this move your legs are out straight, mimicking riding a bicycle. Often times this move make seem easy, but making sure you’re twisting your core is important to feel the burn.