Don’t let all your hard workout at the gym go to waste!
Eating the proper foods after exercising is important so that you get the essential vitamins and nutrients to help keep you chugging along throughout the day. Here are 7 of the best foods to munch on post workout:
1. Eggs – Protein and carbs are two necessities to a good post-workout meal. Just 70 calories each, eggs are packed with 6.3 grams of protein and are one of the few foods that naturally contain vitamin D.
2. Quinoa – Nothing can compete with all the vitamins and nutrients found in quinoa! Brown rice make work for some, but quinoa contains far more protein and fiber. It’s also quicker to prepare!
3. Bananas – One of my favorite fruits to munch on, bananas contain loads of potassium. They are also high in fast acting carbs that help restore your body’s levels of glycogen, which helps rebuild damaged muscles.
4. Blueberries – Pop some blueberries in your mouth after your workout! These little guys will give your body a huge antioxidant boost. Some studies even suggest that blueberries can triple your rate of recovery after intense workouts!
5. Whole grain pita & Hummus – Probably one of my favorite snacks even if I haven’t worked out, hummus is amazing. Made from chickpeas, hummus contains both protein and carbs, and the slow-release carbs from the pita will keep energy levels up after a tough workout.
6. Dried fruits & Nuts – If you need a quick snack before hurrying back to work, try a handful or two of this snack delivers a quick protein and carbs fix.
7. Kiwi – This fruit packs huge amounts of vitamin C and potassium into a tiny serving. Also an excellent source of antioxidants, don’t toss out the skin because it contains even more nutrients!
What foods do you prefer after a workout? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook and Twitter: @LucilleRoberts