If last week’s feasting left you with more turkey leftovers than you know what to do with–or if you just have a hankering for more turkey–try this recipe! It’s low-fat, high in protein, and full of flavor.
- 1 lb. Ground turkey breast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (or as desired)
1. Saute onion, pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add turkey. Brown until not pink. Drain any fat.
3. Add the 2 cans of sauce. Stir.
4. Add the beans. Stir.
5. Add the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir and cover.
6. Lower heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Optional: serve with brown rice, tortilla chips, and shredded cheddar. (Pay attention to serving sizes for these optional add-ons!)
Recipe by Donna Brennan, instructor and district presenter at Lucille Roberts Massapequa.