Appetizers are a lot of people’s favorite part of a meal, but if you eat Jalepeno Poppers at your favorite restaurant, you could be loading up on 500+ calories! Why undo all your hard work at the gym when you can enjoy these lovely treats for only 40 calories each!
-12 fresh jalapeno peppers (halved and cleaned out)
-3oz fat free cream cheese
-3 oz fat free plain Greek yogurt
-2 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-2 1/2 tsp garlic
-2 egg whites (beaten)
-3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
-2 TBSP water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Mix together Greek yogurt, softened cream cheese and 1/2tsp of each spice.
3. In a small bowl, beat together the egg whites and 1tsp of each spice.
4. In a second small bowl, combine the whole wheat bread crumbs, the remaining 1tsp of each spice & 2TBSP water.
5. Spread (about 1 tablespoon) the yogurt/cheese mixture into each jalapeno half.
6. Then dip the peppers into the egg white mixture, one at a time.
7. Roll the stuffed jalepeno in the bread crumbs, pressing gently to ensure the bread crumbs sticking.
** You may need to repeater this step more than once to acquire a good “crunch.”
8. Bake stuffing side up for 30 minutes, or until crisp to the touch.
Fat: 0.5 grams
Protein: 3 grams