These twists have a creative presentation that makes for an appealing appetizer–or a fancy snack! Enjoy!
Zucchini Ribbon Twists
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 16 oz. container of ricotta cheese (use only 2/3 of full container, or approximately 10 oz.)
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cut zucchini lengthwise into thin slices.
3.Throw away outside strips of zucchini (the ones that are essentially just peel) and brush the rest with olive oil on both sides.
4. Grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side. (If you’re making these for an event, you can prepare the zucchini a day ahead and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)
5. In a small bowl, combine approximately 10 oz. of riccotta cheese with basil and garlic, mashing together with a fork.
4. Put 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture about 1/2 inch from the end of a zucchini slice. Top with a small (or half of a large) basil leaf.
5. Roll up, pierce with a tooth pick, and place with the seam side down on a platter. Repeat.
6. Bake for 5 minutes at 300F before serving.
Recipe by Ilise “Baker Babe” Reilly, manager of Lucille Roberts Flushing.