Mindy Kaling, actress, screenwriter, producer, star of The Mindy Project, author of the New York Times Bestseller “Is Everyone Hanging Out with Me”, comedian and oh yes, she is a runner too!
While some of us are trying to keep up with one title, Mindy masters all of her titles and still seems “normal”. How is this possible? How are we able to relate to Mindy unlike other celebrities? Well, sorry to burst your bubble, it’s Mindy who is really trying to relate to us. In an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live! she mentions, “It takes a lot of effort to look like a normal, chubby woman”.
Jokes aside, Mindy faces the same struggles as we do; trying to make healthy decisions in a world where Umami Burger (her favorite) exists, setting plans to accomplish both personal and career goals, and feeling like a real champ after attempting to run a mile (9.5 minutes per mile to be exact).
Mindy makes her “normal” nature clear by using social media as an insight into her daily activities. Currently, she is showing her followers and fans her journey to a healthier, happier lifestyle. Umami Burger included!
Here are five simple ways Mindy is progressing in her health and fitness journey:
- She starts with believing that fitness is not a one size fits all concept. In other words, we cannot all do the strict workout regimen of a super model or famous celebrity. Like Mindy, find what fitness routine and goals suit YOU best!
- Setting “process goals” compared to “outcome goals”: Process goals are what you will actually have to do in order to achieve a larger goal. These smaller goals focus on the activities that lead toward the end goal. e.g “I want to lose 15 pounds”. Some of Mindy’s process goals include;
- Wearing her gym clothes to work so she is prepared and does not have any excuse for avoiding a sweat session.
- To keep her mind entertained while speeding up her running time, she pretends she is “avenging the murder of her fantasy husband” or “running to go shopping with Beyonce.”
Big news! Today I ran a 9.5 minute mile, something I’ve been trying to do for 8 years. I would like to thank my sneakers, my neighbors in little Ethiopia, my alarm clock, my 4 day old blueberry muffin I ate, and my sense of panic at being out of shape. Hooray! If I can do it, so can you! #runnershigh
- Choosing the good stuff. For Mindy, this includes pressed juices and making her own banging breakfast of eggs white omelettes, as opposed to ordering take out. A quick tip is to plan out your recipes like Mindy does. When you make healthy meals ahead of time they become readily available, just like fast food!
- Trying new workouts like Pilates, spin and Barre. Mixing up your workouts is helpful to keep your mind intrigued and focused on your fitness regimen. When your workout routine is repetitive, it becomes boring and leads to a disinterest in exercising – no good!
- Refusing to see herself as an “underdog”, because as her parents told her as a child, she can do anything.
How do you keep yourself progressing on your health and fitness journey? Do you use methods similar to Mindy? Tell us in the comments below or share them with us on Twitter!