Here are 7 diet “secrets” that will help you lose weight more quickly!
1. Prepare healthy snacks every night for the following day. Make sure these snacks include protein, which will help keep you satisfied throughout the day.
- Celery sticks with a Laughing Cow light cheese wedge
- Plain yogurt with1 Tbsp. of chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter on a few whole grain crackers
2. If you go out to lunch, eat smaller portions. Decide in advance to eat only half of what you are served. Choose lean protein like grilled chicken, turkey breast, or plain tuna without the mayo. If you order a salad, eat half, and always order your dressing (low-fat!) on the side. Use only half of the dressing. You’ll cut out calories and fat this way!
3. Keep a food journal. Keeping a food journal, in which you write down everything you put in your mouth, helps you recognize your eating patterns and will enable you to modify them more easily. There are also phone apps that can help with this. Check out Livestrong, Fat Secret, and My Fitness Pal apps.
4. Avoid added sugar: too much sugar can cause overeating! Choose energizing snacks like nuts, raisins, soy nuts, peanut butter, and whole grain crackers. Make a nutritious trail mix with pretzels, nuts, whole grain cereal, and dried fruits like raisins, apricots, figs, or prunes. Avoid all processed snacks that contain added sugar.
5. Avoid overdoing caffeine! Caffeine gives you immediate energy, but you pay for it with a rebound drop-off in energy later on. Caffeine in the late afternoon and evening can also interfere with a good night’s sleep.
6. Get containers to store your food. Purchase plastic storage containers, sports bottles, a water bottle, and a cooler to store and carry your food. Having nutritious meals within reach during a hectic day can keep you on track with your diet.
7. Write down your weight loss and fitness goals with a date by which you want to achieve them. You must believe that you can accomplish whatever you commit to! Every day, begin to visualize the outcome you desire, and develop a plan to attain those goals.