It’s Labor Day weekend! Hooray! Whether you’re planning to fire up the grill, go to a party, or eat out, you can avoid consuming extra calories by following these simple suggestions.
- Eat a light snack before you go to a party. This will help prevent you from eating too much after you arrive.
- Don’t hang around the buffet table. The temptation to overeat after looking at and smelling good food will be too much!
- Watch your alcohol intake. If you do drink alcoholic beverages, make sure to drink a glass of water between every drink. It will keep you hydrated and your stomach full.
- Have a solid plan before eating out: know what you are going to do before you get there.
- Eat a little something before you go so you’re not starving when you get to the restaurant.
- Skip appetizers and dessert.
- Don’t order a drink (besides water) until your meal comes.
- Fill up on salad first (light dressing!).
- Split a meal with someone.
- Ask the waiter to put half of your order in a to-go bag before bringing the other half to your table.
- Always make sure you choose a lean protein, such as fish, shrimp, scallops, grilled chicken breast, veggie burgers, buffalo burgers, or fat-free hot dogs. You can top them off with low-calorie condiments like ketchup, pickles, salsa, mustard, and hot sauce.
- Grilled veggies–like onions, peppers, asparagus, and corn on the cob–are flavorful and very low in calories.
- Stay away from high-fat side dishes like coleslaw, macaroni salad, and potato salad.
- If you need to have something sweet, try fruit pops and fruit bars that contain no added sugar and are fat-free.
- And don’t forget to stay hydrated: make sure you drink lots of water!
Have a wonderful, safe, healthy weekend!
Got a question for Nutritionist Natalie? Email her: Natalie@LucilleRoberts.com