Maybe you remember her from her early days of hosting shows like Wild On! on the E! network, or more recently as the host of Dancing with the Stars. But it’s safe to say when you see Brooke Burke you can’t help but think, “How has she stayed in shape all of these years?!”. Over the course of her career this 41-year-old model, actress, host and mom of four has managed to maintain her weight and slim physique.
So how does she do it? By working out at least five times a week with fast-paced total-body exercises, Brooke keeps her body looking lean and toned. From her line of workout DVDs, we’ve picked up on some of Brooke’s favorite moves and her tips for staying focused on a healthy lifestyle.
1. Curtsy Squat: targets butt & legs
– Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart, arms bent, with your hands together.
-Step your right leg out behind your left leg (like you’re doing a curtsy without the bow), and bend knees to a 90 degree angle.
-Return to the start position. Switch legs and curtsy squat to the right, left leg behind the right. That’s one rep.
– Do 4 sets of 20 reps, 10 for each leg.
2. Atlas: targets shoulders & triceps
– Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, while holding dumbbells in each hand with palms facing up, elbows bent and held out to the side of your body.
– Raise arms upward until elbows are shoulder-level.
– Lower arms to return to start.
– Do 4 sets of 20 reps.
3. Dead Bug: targets abs & obliques
– Lie down on the floor facing up. Bend legs to a 90 degree angle, with shins being parallel to the floor and raise arms above your head.
– Crunch up and hold this position throughout the entire exercise.
– Extend right leg in front of you, toes pointed, and reach right arm down toward your toes.
– Bring leg and arm back to start position and switch legs.
– Do 4 sets of 20 reps, alternating sides.
4. Swimmer Squat: targets back, abs, butt & legs
– Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, arms at your sides.
– Lower down into a squat.
– As you stand up, lift and extend your right leg behind you. Hinge forward slightly at your hips and extend left arm out in front of you.
-Try your best to form a straight line from your right leg to left arm, staying parallel to the floor.
– Lower leg and arm, return to start
-Do 4 sets of 20 reps, alternating sides.
Tips for a Brooke Burke Physique!
1. You Are What You Eat
Brooke emphasizes that to maintain a healthy body, you have to focus on what you put into it. Her diet is filled with fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains. Make sure to get a variety of these good-for-you foods throughout your day. If you’re in need of some great recipes, we have tons on our Tumblr!
2. Stay Motivated:
Like most women, Brooke constantly strives to keep up her drive and determination to workout and stay healthy. Her tips include keeping a vision board of images from fitness and fashion magazines to keep yourself motivated. With sites like Pinterest, creating a vision board for your fitness and lifestyle goals is just a click away! Check out our Pinterest board for inspiration!
3. Get Moving:
Even if it’s just for 15 or 20 minutes, make sure to squeeze in exercise throughout your day. Park your car a little farther away from the store, or take the stairs instead of the elevator. It may not seem like much, but the added movement throughout your day can make all the difference.