Here are the full details for Week 2 of the Summer Sweat Challenge.
ACTIVE REST : Downward Facing Dog to Plank
- Shift your weight forward so that your hips are aligned with your shoulders. Make sure your shoulders are above your wrists and your spine is aligned.
- Press your palms firmly into the mat. Draw your naval in and up as you engage your abdominal. Slightly tuck your pelvis forward so that the spine is straight.
- Press your shoulders away from your ears. Engage your quads. Look straight ahead so that your neck is aligned with your spine (don’t let your head hang down)
- For an extra challenge, raise your right toes off of the mat and then switch sides.
- Bend over or squat down and place your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside of your feet.
- Jump both feet back so that you’re now in plank position.
- Drop to a push-up—your chest should touch the floor. You can also drop to your knees here, which makes the impending push-up easier.
- Push up to return to plank position (this can be a strict push-up, a push-up from the knees, or not a push-up at all (i.e., just push yourself up from the ground as you would if you weren’t working out)—your choice).
- Jump the feet back in toward the hands.
- Explosively jump into the air, reaching your arms straight overhead.
ARMS : Triceps dips.
- Position your hands shoulder-width apart on bench or stable chair.
- Position your butt off the front of the bench with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle. Be sure to keep your back close to the bench.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the bench to straighten your elbows, returning to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Keep your shoulders down as you lower and raise your body. You can bend your legs to modify this exercise.
CARDIO + LEGS: Squat Jack
- Bring your hands under your chin and squat down so that your knees are slightly above a 90 degree angle.
- Start with your knees together.
- Jump in the air and spread your legs. Land with your legs spread and then jump again bringing them back together.
- Continue to switch feet position every time you jump.
ABS: Bicycle Crunch
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground and contract your core muscles.
- With your hands gently holding your head, lift your knees to about a 45-degree angle.
- Slowly, at first, go through a bicycle pedal motion.
- Alternately touching your elbows to the opposite knees as you twist back and forth.
- Breath evenly throughout the exercise.
ABS +ARMS: Plank Up and Down
- Starting on your elbows and toes, or on your knees, engage your core before you start. Keep your hips as still as possible.
- push up with one hand then the other until you are propped up in a push-up position.
- Lower back down to your elbows one arm at a time.
- Halfway through, change your leading arm so you strengthen the other shoulder as you press up to your hands.
ACTIVE REST: Warrior Pose